Unit V is available for rent beginning July (might have some flexibility). We’re seeking renters who will be great neighbors and active members of this high-functioning community. For renters who are interested in being owners, living here is a great way to be well-situated to buy a unit when it comes up. Our previous renters just had an opportunity to purchase a unit when a neighbor moved.
About the unit:
- Centrally located in historic downtown Oakland
- Beautiful 2-story condo, 2 bed 1.5 bath with office nook.
- 1000 sq ft end-unit with high ceilings, ‘balconette’ overlooking garden and courtyard.
- Sky lights, ample windows, lofted ceilings, and original clerestory windows make it airy and light.
- Hardwood floors upstairs, original stained concrete floors on main level.
- Radiant heat, solar panels, ceiling fan, lots of windows
- Gated small community, off the street and quiet.
- Community amenities include common house with commercial kitchen (see photos), kids play room, workout room, laundry, workshop, community garden, guest room, and large patio for dining/entertaining
- Indoor cats and very quiet dogs considered.
- Rent is $3300/mo and includes almost all utilities: garbage/recycling/compost, water, high-speed DSL, a secured parking space, indoor 5×5 storage unit, use of the guest room, laundry machines, and all amenities on site. Electric is the only utility not included and averages $35/mo, depending on usage.
About the community:
Swan’s Market Cohousing is an urban co-housing community with 20 units and about 32 residents ranging in age from 1 to 86. We are located in the preserved and retrofitted historic 1917 Swan’s Market building in the historic Old Oakland neighborhood. All the traditional components of cohousing are active here including common meals 3x/week, monthly work parties, and neighbors helping neighbors. Participation and engagement in the community is high. People share food, tools, time, friendship, resources, and skills.
Located on 9th and Clay, it is 2 blocks from BART, has a Walkability Score of 95/100, just about every service you can imagine within a few blocks including a grocery store, and Farmers Market sets up in the street out front on Fridays (see photos). Though urban, the outdoor space, or “Swan’s Way” central corridor is generously planted with an array of fruit trees, vegetables, and artful patio gardens.
Community amenities include common house with commercial kitchen (see photos), kids play room, workout room, laundry, workshop, community garden, guest room, solar panels, and large patio for dining/entertaining.
Who you are…
We are looking for someone or a family who will be great community members. Trustworthy, a good neighbor, friendly, and able to participate in cohousing activities including weekly common meals (optional to eat, expected to cook once every 5-6 weeks), monthly work parties, and participation in at least one committee. In exchange, you’lldiscover a European-like mini-village that will feel like a quaint and peaceful retreat to come home to every day… right in the middle of downtown Oakland!
This was our home for many years. We loved it and are looking for someone who will love it as much as we do. Thank you for your interest in our home!
Deanna and Erich Simon
To be contacted by the owner (Deanna Simon – firstname.lastname@example.org – 510-207-0340), please complete our interest form before calling.